Unlawful SearchesMeet the team
If you wish to make any unlawful search claims or complaints regarding unreasonable searches and seizures, DPP Law can help you.
We will go through all evidence obtained, including video footage, images or audio recordings of the search and any other record of the behaviour of police officers, including witness statements, and examine all circumstances of the unlawful search incident in full to build a strong case for you.
Can I make an unlawful search claim?
Circumstances under which you may make a claim include instances where the police have:
- Conducted any illegal police searches of your property or person
- Raided the incorrect address
- Obtained a search warrant based on fabricated evidence
- Provided an insufficient reason to believe your property had any involvement with the crime
The circumstances in which police are allowed to enter your property without permission or a warrant include situations in which there is a danger to life or there is an arrestable offender believed to be within the premises.
You can also make unlawful search claims if you’ve been the subject of a stop and search that didn’t adhere to the following regulations:
- Telling the subject why they are being searched and what law enforcement officers expect to find
- Not stopping a subject due to their race or background
- Only asking questions that are relevant to the search
- Informing the subject of the ID numbers, names, police stations of all present officers
- Informing the subject of their right to a record of the search, and where to obtain this
How much could I receive for an unlawful search claim?
While there are no clear guideline amounts in terms of the compensation you may receive, a stop and search that neglects correct procedure could see you awarded £250, while unlawful premises searches and failure to provide copies of warrants could result in a £1,500 payout.
In 2010, DPP Law solicitor Iain Gould successfully assisted four young complainants in holding the Metropolitan Police to account for a wrongful stop and search, which earned our clients over £23,000 in compensation, plus costs.
How DPP Law can assist with unlawful searches
As your legal representatives and advisors, DPP Law can offer you:
- Trustworthy 24-hour specialist legal advice, counsel and support
- More than 30 years’ of experience
- Clarity and transparency throughout
To find out if you can make a claim for unlawful entry and searches by police of your property, get in touch with our actions against police solicitors, and we’ll discuss your case with you and help you with your complaint.
Our action against police solicitors can also provide advice on: